Unseating an Entrenched Competitor
How often does this frustration occur? You initiate a new sales opportunity and the prospect says, “We’re happy with our existing supplier?”
Why is this? Your offer is better to what they’re using — even SUPERIOR. If only you could get the prospect to listen.
Unfortunately, when trying to unseat a competitor, challenges exist. Traditional selling techniques can often work against you. Plus, studies show that prospects are so change-resistant, your benefits often have to triple-outweigh the the perceived “pain of change.”
- 1-hour keynote address
- 1-hour to 4-hour breakout session
- Full-day customized workshop
Objectives and Takeaways
- Develop alternative approaches to “tradition selling techniques” that usually backfire:
- Feature-benefit selling
- Low-ball pricing
- Groveling for a small piece of the business
- Pointing out competitors’ weaknesses
- “Turn the tables” and use a prospect’s resistance to change to your advantage to propel the sale forward.
- Instead of listing numerous competitive advantages, focus your efforts by accentuating and emphasizing only one primary advantage — compelling your prospect to choose you.
- Uncover what services and products you and your competitor both offer — then plan a strategy to differentiate your services to gain the advantage.
- Develop effective research techniques with new customer to better understand the prospect’s unfilled and unmet needs.
- Create a positive rapport with customers to position yourself as a strategic supplier and not a “product peddler” scrambling for quick deals.
- Master intuitive discovery questions that uncover customer motivations, disrupt complacency, and shake up the status quo.
- Learn to avoid common manipulations — like when a prospect asks you for a quote, pretending to be interested — and then uses the information to leverage a better deal with their existing vendor — leaving you out in the cold.
- Present with such confidence and conviction that your solution will be the undisputed winner.
The Circles of Engagement
The Circles of Engagement is a learning tool that provides workshop participants with a guide that assists in developing an effective and strategic sales questioning game plan that is based on a individual organization and business scenarios and selling‑based circumstances.